Offical website of the film.
When the Earth is your Apple.
The story of a rare journey of an Alaskan mother and ten year-old son as they give up their material possessions to explore the world for a year.
- Before you go- find out which immunizations you’ll need months in advance.
- Especially useful items to pack include a Tablet of some sort, Legos, spring form laundry basket, dental floss (often not sold), small scissors, clothes pins and cord, and copies of your documents in a separate bag.
- Travel LIGHT- everything on wheels.
- TripAdvisor is your friend.
- Ship souvenirs and weather-inappropriate clothing back using parcel post – it may take six weeks but it’s not too expensive and is dependable.
- Please do not OVERTIP or OVERPAY. Pay attention to going rates because otherwise you ruin it for other travelers.
- Get a letter of introduction from your school principal or superintendent so that your children can visit other schools while traveling.
- Evacuation insurance can provide peace of mind if traveling in troubled areas or if you have health concerns.
About Filmmaking and Journalistic Photography
- Put a person in your shots.
- Rest your elbow to stabilize.
- Ask permission when shooting up close.
- Take a very small camera – which has a manual function and makes at least 10MB files.
- Take back up data options- you can’t rely on every country having what you need and it will likely be more expensive than your local venue.
- Take an adaptor for charging (even though most countries have a Western option of plug ins- you can’t always count on this.)